Thursday, May 27, 2010

Home again, Home again

Home again, Home again, jiggity, jig, jig, jig.

We arrived home on Tuesday evening. Coming out of Hancock Airport in Syracuse, I was struck by the scent of home. It smelled of early summer, green and growing things, new mown hay. I hadn’t really noticed what England smelled like, but standing on the sidewalk outside of the airport, I realized it hadn’t smelled like home. It was wonderful visiting England, but it’s good to be home.

This morning, standing in the quiet, closed library, I breathed in the scent of books and looked at the book lined shelves, filled with stories, adventures, other places, other people, knowledge, information and entertainment. I’ve spent that last few weeks traveling around another country, but these books also offer ways to reach other countries, people, places, times, cultures, adventures and stories. I haven’t read much in the last few weeks, other than road signs like “oncoming traffic in the middle of the road,” “layby closed,” “loo,” and even “don’t be silly,” so I think it’s time to dig into a good book and discover other worlds. But this time it will be through reading instead of traveling. See you soon at the library!

1 comment: